Saturday, March 22, 2014

Why I Love Music

I feel led to blog a series of why I love music. Music is a huge part of my life because travel is too. Both of my jobs require a lot of driving as well as some plane trips. With all of my time on the road, I usually play music while I'm driving.

I, myself, am a drummer, and even though drumming doesn't have count as an instrument, it provides a steady beat and passion to each song. I love that each song has its own story and that there are millions maybe even billions of songs available to listen to. I love the beats and rhythm to music. I love to dance, scream, sing out and weep (as weird as that songs) to music.

As a drummer, I love providing a steady beat to the rest of the band, creating more to the song, and connecting the passion in my heart with the cymbals and drums.

Words are powerful. I believe that the music we listen to will show us who we are inside and will match our actions on the outside. And when we listen to songs of truth about who God is and what He has done, it opens up the heavens and angels sing along because it's TRUTH! I know in my life, I've had times when I'm weary after work and I will turn on some music and certain songs would remind me of who God is and it fired me up inside and reenergized me.

One song that is really powerful that I always love listening to is Lord, I Need You by Matt Maher. I did some googling and found a blog about it with a lot of scripture and would love to share all the truths in this modern day hymn. I'm not sure if Matt was basing his song off of all of these verses but the lyrics match all of them. I would suggest reading all of the passages as I do it. It's incredible how powerful this song is because of all the truth from the bible that it has.

Lord, I come, I confess (1 John 1:9)
Bowing here I find my rest (Jeremiah 6:16, Matthew 11:29, John 14:27)
Without You I fall apart (Colossians 1:17, Hebrews 1:3)
You’re the One that guides my heart (Proverbs 3:5-6)

[Chorus:]
Lord, I need You, oh, I need You (Psalm 40:17, Psalm 70:5, Psalm 86:1, Philippians 4:19, Hebrews 4:16)
Every hour I need You
My one defense, (Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 2:1)
my righteousness (Romans 1:17, 1 Corinthians 1:26-31, Philippians 3:8-9)
Oh God, how I need You
Where sin runs deep Your grace is more (Romans 5:20-21)
Where grace is found is where You are (2 Timothy 2:1)
And where You are, Lord, I am free (2 Corinthians 3:17)
Holiness is Christ in me (John 14:23, Romans 8:9-10, Galatians 2:20, Ephesians 3:16-17, Colossians 1:27)

[chorus repeats]

Teach my song to rise to You (Psalm 33:3, Psalm 119:11)
When temptation comes my way (Matthew 6:13, Matthew 26:41, Luke 11:4, Luke 22:40, 1 Corinthians 10:13, James 4:7)
And when I cannot stand I’ll fall on You (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
Jesus, You’re my hope and stay (1 Corinthians 3:11, 1 Timothy 1:1, Titus 2:13, 1 Peter 1:3-5, 1 Peter 5:10)

For me and where my life is, the line that moves me the most is where sin runs deep, your grace is more and that is found in Romans 5:20-21. There has been a couple of times when it's brought me to tears in the car. I am a messed up person and I still continue to mess up and spit in God's face. I am also my worst critic and when I sin against God, I beat myself up big time and think of God as someone who judges and hates me but He is not like that at all! He loves me and gives me grace. No matter how big or deep my sin may be, His grace is more and it's hard for me to understand that. I grew up in a home where if you messed up, you have to make up for it. So I believed that I had to make up for my sin, or have a streak of days where I didn't mess up. THAT'S NOT HOW GRACE WORKS. I'm not even close to understanding grace but I know that grace is given to us by God even WHEN WE DON'T DESERVE IT.

So that's a little piece of why I love music. I'm excited to share it because it gives me more passion and love for music as I'm writing about it.

Now for you English majors such as my sister Hannah... Cough. I love you! I have probably made errors and have changed tenses or put commas where they shouldn't be or  created run on sentences. I'm not a writer or English freak so if I made several mistakes, I apologize. My mission is to get my point across, not write a perfect paper. Also, I'm not that creative on word selection or the way I write, but I just want to share my story. And I'm not trying to come across as offensive at all. I'm just explaining that if you see an error or my writing is too weak, that's my bad.

Thanks for taking the time to read and learn a little. I'll be writing more on music and different songs. If you have any requests, I would be more than happy to listen to and study them. Have a great spring break! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment